Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Welcome home?!?

So....I now live in South Dakota. My parents and I moved my stuff this past weekend, and we got to my house on Monday. It took us two days to drive up here and two days to clean and organize the house. It's kind of weird to think of this has my new house. It's nice, and I have lots of stuff from home, so it feels like home, in a way. It's just weird, having to learn a new address, getting a PO Box, getting a new cell phone and paying for things on my own now. I am now officially a grown up....that's funny. I think I'm ready for the real world. Well, I am ready. It will just take some time to adjust. It will be weird tomorrow when my parents leave, and I am officially on my own. My own house. My own phone. Mine. Hmm....so, I got to see my school and my classroom. I think I'll like it. The head principal said I'd only have about 12-15 students in each class. That's so small. I'm used to at least twice that size. It'll be nice, though. More time with each student and hopefully I'll have more time to teach and not have to deal with discipline stuff. I don't know. I'm kinda sad because the Jr. High principal who hired me took a new job, out of state. So, I'll never get to meet him. He was a nice man.

So, the land out here is pretty. There are hills and the sky is so open and clear. Yet, at the same time, it's ugly. On the rez, there is so much trash. And, I've been warned about doing everything in the daylight and always being cautious, wherever I am. I know that God is good and that He is in control, but I still feel somewhat scared sometimes when people tell me that. There are a lot of people who work on the rez, but live off of it. That makes me wonder how bad it really is...or just how bad it's perceived. I don't know. It will be okay. Hopefully I'll get to know my neighbors soon. I would like to be able to talk to them, but I'm still not sure how they feel about white people.

In the city of Pine Ridge, there are white people around, who work at the hospital or the school. I think I could be one of a few white people in Oglala. It will be interesting to really be in the minority. I pray for God to give me the strength and wisdom I will need throughout this year. Please do the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home